Monday, May 14, 2012

Writing Spaces: Going Steampunk

I was wasting time on Wikipedia today (as I like to do), when I discovered that one of my favorite authors, Scott Westerfeld, just had a birthday! This was great news, in part because I love his books and his terrific, inventive worlds and captivating, fully-realized characters, and also because it gave me an opportunity to post some totally awesome steampunk writing spaces.

Steampunk is one of those things that can be a little hard to get. I know, when I first picked up the great Leviathan, my immediate response was a big ole "Huh?" But the more I saw (and Googled), the more I fell in love with the supercool melding of modern and Victorian technology and art. And I am way impressed by people whose commitment to steampunk involves making over their entire homes, like this bright blue, beautifully lit dining room:

The seahorse shaped picture frame! The sliding brass ladder! The faux submarine-style window with projected underwater life! I need this person to redecorate.

And, of course, since this is a spotlight on writing spaces, here is the coolest thing on the planet: a steampunkified desk.


Yes, those are organ pipes behind the desk and yes, the speakers are those giant Victorian-style record player cones. Fully rebuilt keyboard, gorgeous wood-paneled desk--the only bizarre thing in this entire photo is the electrical outlet (where's Mr. Tesla when you need him?).

My favorite part of the desk? This wee steampunked USB drive:


You can check out more photos of the desk and learn more about how it got built here

And since I couldn't find an image of Scott Westerfeld at work, I'll leave you with an image from Leviathan of the cozy captain's quarters:


No comments:

Post a Comment