Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Tea and Rain Clouds and a Puppy


It's rainy outside. I'm fighting a cold that keeps me awake all night and groggy all day. The news out of Boston--a city closer to my heart than perhaps any other--has left me sad and dazed and confused.

I try to keep this blog lighthearted and focused on publishing, but today and this week my mind has been too wrapped up in what's going on in the world. I've spent a lot of time drinking tea, reading books, hugging my puppy, saying prayers of thanks for friends who ran or watched the marathon but were spared, saying prayers of comfort for the families of the victims. Today I learned that one of the victims was the sister of someone I knew in college. It's hard to watch him standing with his mom and not feel like the whole world has turned upside down.

I debated whether to post this today. But ultimately, if writing has taught me anything, it's to pay attention to what I'm thinking and feeling and to be honest about that. Share it. Put it out in the world and hope that in some way, it touches another person.

And I know that these feelings are only temporary. I know Boston is a tough city and every time I hear someone on the news say the marathon won't ever be joyful again I think "Like hell it won't."

But in the meantime, it's tough. It's sad. It's strange. And so I drink cups of tea, read books, hug my puppy. Cry, pray, check in with friends and family. Try not to get overwhelmed by the news and remember, even on the days when it doesn't seem like it (maybe even especially on the days it doesn't seem like it): the world is a good place.

No comments:

Post a Comment