Wednesday, September 28, 2011

I Quit My Job to Be a Writer (it’s ok, you can roll your eyes…)


Almost every publishing blog has at least one post that says writing shouldn’t be your day job. “Keep your real job, write at night,” they say. “Here’s a list of famous authors and the jobs they had.”

So why did I ignore them? Probably the real answer is that I’m young and stupid and naïve. My practical answer is that I actually have savings! And a husband with health insurance! And the real answer is that this is something I want to do with my life, and if I can’t try it now, when I have no debt, no kids, money in the bank, and a few years to kick around, then I might not ever have the guts to try it.

Because, it takes guts. Guts to walk into your boss’s office and tell him you’re quitting your amazing job. Guts to leave your home and city for one where you know less people than fingers on your hands (which will soon be in mittens because man Chicago is cold…). Guts to go to parties and chat with strangers and say “Actually, I write…” and see the rainbow of expressions on their faces.

I’m lucky that I have a supportive husband and friends who like to read manuscripts and practice with writing and scheduling my time (helloooo senior thesis). And who knows what’s going to happen, or if six months from now I’ll be trolling monster.com and checking out barista jobs. But, I have to at least try.


I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment