Wednesday, December 5, 2012

How I Edit

Today's post comes via YA Highway's Road Trip Wednesday, which asks "How do you approach editing/revising? Any tips or tricks or resources you can share?"

I didn't participate in NaNoWriMo this year (thanks, Cybils!), but I thought I would share a cartoon I drew while deep in the throes of editing last January, which is probably the best way I can possibly define my editing process. Enjoy!


This is my story



This is sort of how it looks on the first draft




So then I
 cut!


build!

 
grow!


 
Sometimes it can get away from me



and sometimes I wonder if parts are too straightforward



or if my language is too fancy




or not fancy enough



Mostly, I don't want it to look like this



or make me feel like this




So I'll keep plugging along



and hope to get to this

8 comments:

  1. LOVE IT! Great images for your points.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love the drawings. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh! These drawings are PERFECT! (You are talented!) I always think of my revisions in a kind of similar way---as though my story is a wrinkled shirt and I'm ironing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone, for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you drew cartoons for your answer. Really great visuals!

    ReplyDelete