Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Wilder Desk

Whoops! Yesterday was a bit of a crazy day over here and I completely forgot about my little blog! So, bonus Tuesday Writing Spaces!

Today's Writing Spaces features the dainty-sweet office of the original pioneer girl, Laura Ingalls Wilder. It's Laura's* birthday this Thursday, plus I just read a super-cool article about what really caused Mary's blindness (hint: not scarlet fever), so it seemed as good a time as any to spotlight the Little House on the Prairie author.

Here's her desk at Rocky Ridge Farm, where she lived with her husband and daughter. Confession: before I read a single book by Laura, I first read the books about her daughter, Rose, which follows her childhood and life on Rocky Ridge Farm. So my memories are less crackling pigs' tails and berry-shaped buttons and more persimmon stomachaches, longing for a red satin dress, and friendly train engineers.

Laura's lap desk, built by Almanzo (where's my lap desk, husband?)

Here's a shot of Laura at work, smiling and stylish


*She's so clearly "Laura" and not "Ingalls Wilder," right? I mean, she was like my first literary best friend. We're definitely on a first-name basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment